Management of migraines, usually involves a combination of knowing your triggers, lifestyle modification, medications and in some cases botulinum (Botox ®) injections. There are a number of triggers including:
- Hormonal changes in women
- Alcohol – especially wine
- Sleep disturbance
- Weather fluctuations
- Foods e.g. cheese or skipping meals
- Food additives such as aspartame and monosodium glutamate
- Intense physical exertion
- Medications such at the oral contraceptive pill and vasodilators (e.g. nitoglycerin)
- Sensory stimuli – bright lights, strong smells and loud noise.
If you are a migraine sufferer, it is worth keeping a lifestyle diary to help identify your triggers. The easiest way to alleviate frequency is to avoid anything that brings them. Obviously this is not always possible – we can’t all jump on a plane to avoid a change in barometric pressure!
Medication can be divided into treatment and prevention of migraines. In cases of recurrent migraines botulinum injections can be useful. A medical consultation is required to assess suitability.
Treatment costs can be discussed during a consultation.